ASTA – Aircrew Synthetic Training Aids
The world’s most advanced new generation multirole/swing-role combat aircraft comes with the unrivalled training capability of the ASTA (Aircrew Synthetic Training Aids) system. This high-quality, high-fidelity training system for pilots is an integral part of the Eurofighter Typhoon system. ASTA has been designed for Eurofighter Typhoon pilots to support mission readiness training and cater efficiently and cost-effectively for the mostdemanding training needs.
The ASTA suite comprises a full range of training devices, from basic to high-end, andcan be specifically tailored to the needs of the Customer. ASTA is providing a fully immersive cockpit and synthetic training environment allowing full mission training. It has been designed from the outset to cover all envisaged roles for the Eurofighter Typhoon while on deployment or on active service.
ASTA – The Winning Solution
– Proficiency Training
– Tactical training
– Mission rehearsal
– Covering the most demanding scenarios
– Substituting live flying training
– More than 50% of training in ASTA
– Repetition stabilises skills on a high level
– Training availability 24/7
– Precise aircraft performance
– Realistic cockpit
– Up to 360° Field of View
– High Performance Synthetic Environment
– Effective customer oriented training
– Proven in Libya operations
– Trusted Air Policing (London Olympics, World Economic Forum)
– Effective preparation of several international exercises
ASTA – Pilot Performance
A combination of training with ASTA and the real aircraft exceeds the Air Forces’ 100% Training Requirement to achieve Combat Ready status.
Only training with the high-fidelity ASTA system allows training of Crew Resource Management (CRM) safety and Mission Readiness Training (MRT) issues.
ASTA – Training Cost Reduction
Only a combination of ASTA and aircraft flying training ensures combat ready status in an efficient and cost-effective way.
Training of the complete spectrum of tasks up to Flag Exercises in the simulator reduces the need and costs for live exercises.
Training costs of different training concepts
(Assumption: 50% Simulator Training and 50% Flying Training)
(* reach 80% capability in the ASTA only for a given time)
ASTA – Benefits for Customers
Original aircraft software
- “Train as you fight” – no surprises in the aircraft for the pilot, the simulator has the same behaviour as the aircraft!
- Immediate transfer of acquired skills from the simulator to the aircraft -> pilot immediately capable
High fidelity / high performance synthetic Environment
- The pilot experiences the environmental effects, like weapon firing and impact, or Electronic Warfare like in the real world
- Computer Generated Forces (Virtual Players) behave like manned players
Combination of original aircraft software and high fidelity / high performance synthetic environment
- Pilot is mission ready from day one
- Cost reduction through transfer of flight hours to simulator (extending airframe life and operational availability)
- Situational awareness is drastically improved by repetition of non-obvious critical situations
- Mission rehearsal and practise of war time missions which cannot be flown due to safety and/or peacetime regulations, missing assets or ranges
Use of mission data as in the aircraft
- Preparation of the mission is identical for the simulator and the aircraft. No difference for the pilot until steptime
360° horizontal Field of View (HFoV)
- Supports the full range of training tasks from familiarisation training up to combat-ready training
Over 500 malfunctions implemented, selectable in every possible combination
- Intensive, best possible malfunction training for the pilots
Networking capability and integration of virtual players
- Maximised training realism and flexibility
Extensive use of COTS hardware
- Reduced in-service costs
text source: Eurofighter GmbH, ASTA Brochure, 2013